If you have a smartphone, tablet or an iPod, you need to download these top 5 grocery apps that pay you back for your purchases!
*Post contains affiliate links.
Even if you don’t have enough memory on your phone, if you have an old smartphone or iPod or tablet that has a camera and works with wifi, you can use that. I don’t like to clog up my memory on my primary smartphone, so I use an old iPhone that works with my home wifi to store these apps on. When I get home from grocery shopping I lay out all of my receipts, go through each app and select any offers I can redeem and then snaps pictures of the receipts.
I’ve gotten a decent amount back using these apps, they have paid for a year of a subscription to Netflix and my yearly amazon prime subscription!
1. Checkout 51 pays you back for purchases and it works at Aldi!! WOOT! In fact, it will work with ANY store.
Here are more details from Checkout 51’s website:
How Checkout 51 works
- Browse your offers and buy products at any store.
- Upload your receipt using Checkout 51.
- We’ll confirm your purchase and credit your account.
- When your account balance reaches $20, you can cash out and we’ll mail you a check. Please see our Terms for more details.
- Offers go live on Thursdays at 12:00 AM in each time zone. They expire the following Wednesday at 11:59 PM in each time zone. You must upload your receipts while the offers are live.
- Offers are available in limited quantities. Please check your offer list before you go shopping to ensure that the offer is still available, and upload the receipt immediately after purchase to avoid disappointment.
- A quantity of (1) of each offer is eligible for Cash Back per member.
- Each receipt can only be used once.
- You can only earn Cash Back for the exact product listed, so please read carefully.
- You can earn Checkout 51 Cash Back in combination with any other coupon or discount unless otherwise stated.
- Products must be purchased in your country of registration. We currently support the United States (the 50 states of the United States, the District of Columbia, and Overseas US Military Bases) and Canada (excluding Quebec).
- Receipts uploaded must be in English.
- Items purchased from online retailers are eligible for Cash Back. Itemized packing slips are accepted as proof of purchase. Online purchases are subject to the same upload timelines as receipts. For more information, please visit our Help Desk.
2. Snap by Groupon – Snap – *Updated spring of 2016- Snap by Groupon still offers coupons and money saving opportunities, but not in the form of specific product savings.
3. Receipt Hog – Get cash and rewards for almost EVERY receipt (not just groceries, no specific items to purchase)
From Receipt Hog’s Website – Receipt Hog is a free mobile app that turns your everyday shopping receipts into easy cash rewards! For every qualifying receipt you snap a picture of and submit, you’ll earn coins or spins at our Hog Slots. Each time you spin the Hog Slots, you have a chance at even more coins, and 1 lucky winner each day will win the value of his or her last shopping trip in coins! Once you’ve earned enough coins, you can redeem them for your choice of either a PayPal transaction or an Amazon.com e-gift card. Frequently active participants become eligible for additional ways to earn including short surveys, barcode scans, and even more spins at the Hog Slots, all of which earn you, even more coins, so it pays to stick with Receipt Hog!
Here is what qualifies –
Stores that primarily sell consumable products earn coins rewards. The following store types earn coin rewards based on the receipt total:
- club store
- dollar store
- drug store
- beauty supply
- pet supply
- toy store
Stores that sell primarily non-consumable products earn spin rewards. Each receipt awards a single Hog Slot spin, which gives you a chance to win some major coins at the Hog Slots! The following are example store types that earn spin rewards:
- clothing & department stores
- home improvement
- home furnishings
- arts & crafts
- sports & outdoors
Here are some good examples of receipts that do not qualify:
- gas-only receipts
- restaurant/cafes/bakeries receipts
- ticket stubs
- service invoices
- hand-written receipts
- receipts older than 2 weeks
- receipt missing one of the following: store name, date, purchased items, or purchase total
4. Ibotta –
With Ibotta, you need to “unlock” rewards first by answering a question or watching a quick video. Then you scan the product’s barcode and your receipt. Ibotta requires a few extra steps, but almost ALWAYS offers cash back on staple items like milk, bread, and eggs. I get most of my qualifying products at Aldi and Ibotta doesn’t support Aldi as a store (BOO), but almost every other major chain partners with Ibotta (114 stores as of post publication). If you primarily shop at Walmart, Walgreen’s, CVS, Rite Aid or any major grocery chain store, you definitely want to give Ibotta a shot. Your friends can sign up as part of your team and you’ll earn MORE when you join forces together!! You can also shop online with Ibotta and they run great incentives during the holidays with places like Amazon and Best Buy.
5. SavingStar – This app is fantastic, every Friday you can get something for FREE and they have tons of produce offers that really pay off! Plus, they have a low payout threshold of only $5 – that means fast money for you!
From the SavingStar website:
Save at the Store
Select offers on web or mobile.
Check every week for new deals, including a weekly Healthy Offer and 100% off Freebie.
Use card at checkout or take a picture of receipt.
For automatic-savings stores, use your registered card at checkout as you normally do. For receipt-scan stores, take a picture of your receipt and submit through the SavingStar app or website.
Get cash in your SavingStar account.
Discounts are not received at checkout. Savings will post within 2-22 days depending on the store. You’ll receive an email when they post to your account.
Click retailer link on SavingStar.com
When you choose “Shop Now,” you’ll be taken to the retailer’s website.
Your savings will automatically be added to your SavingStar account. (Savings generally post within 10 days, travel purchases may take longer)
Get cash in your SavingStar account.
Pay out to your bank or PayPal account or donate to a charity. Stay tuned and keep earning. More payout options are on the way.
Earn more cash back with the
SavingStar American Express® Card
1%cash back on everything else where American Express is welcomed
5%cash back on eligible SavingStar Cash Back Mall purchases
10%cash back on eligible SavingStar grocery purchases in addition to your SavingStar cash back reward.
The cash back you earn is on top of regular SavingStar earnings!