This blog post is the nitty gritty of my FREE Email Course “How to Start a New Blog in One Week- Step By Step”, If you haven’t signed up for that yet, you can do so below:
Most people who want to start a blog have so much to tell the world, but they get stuck on the tech “how to”. Keep reading to get your new blog set up in a matter of minutes. This could change your life! Some bloggers are making 6-7 digits PER MONTH. Others make very little and don’t mean to, but this is still just about the cheapest “hobby” you could entertain.
I have partnered with Bluehost to bring you a deeply discounted hosting plan at just $5.95 per month (normally $14.99) for their PRIME plan which includes unlimited everything, $200 worth of free marketing materials, and over $80/year in FREE extras. Not only that, they’re throwing in a FREE domain name!
I chose Bluehost for several other reasons as well. The first is that they have fantastic WordPress hosting that’s affordable and dependable. The second is that they will NOT host porn sites. I value quality service, at a low price, with high standards. Bluehost fits the bill. I’ve gone with GoDaddy in the past, and still use them for some of my sites, but only because I haven’t had a chance to move things over. If I could do it over, I would have started with Bluehost, so learn from my mistake!
1 FREE domain registration
Unlimited domain hosting
1-Click MOJO Marketplace installations
Free drag-and-drop site builder
Unlimited disk storage
Unlimited IMAP & POP3 e-mail support
Technical support leads the industry and is located here in the USA.
They offer 24/7 chat, email, and phone support to our customers.
See below for the value you’ll get (only when you sign up through my link):
- Click HERE to go to Bluehost and then click the Get Started Now button.
Watch the Tutorial Videos Below
Part 1: How to purchase your domain and install WordPress, and a recommendation for the Divi Theme by Elegant Themes for beginners.
*NOTES FROM PART 1:To get the Divi theme from Elegant Themes I mentioned in the video, go HERE. This is the theme I use for MakingItPayToStay and is highly customizable for even a beginner!
Part 2: Set up a basic (free) theme using WordPress:
- If you’re considering using blogger or some other free platform, PLEASE DON’T. You’ll need a WordPress site to properly run everything, implement integrations, customize your site just right, take payments easily, etc. Not to mention that a blogger or other free website hosting option looks unprofessional. That won’t rank you very high in the eyes of advertisers and you’ll miss out on TONS of income opportunities. Since I think it’s such a bad idea, I’m not even going to go over how to set those up.
- After you’ve purchased your domain and set up your site, go to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, Snapchat, and any other social media sites to create your new accounts for your blog. You’ll want to be building followers on these platforms as you build your blog for greater views, engagement, and income!
If you’ve previously bought a domain, you’ll need to connect it to Bluehost. Follow the instructions below to do that. (Skip this if you did this all at once as described in the tutorial video).
If you’re like me and have domains through GoDaddy – move them over to Bluehost. This is on my to-do list. 🙂 Click this link for info: setting nameservers for your domain names. *Note, this can be a bit technical, so if you’re uncomfortable, call GoDaddy and ask them to do it for you.
Here’s what to do if you have a domain through GoDaddy and want to move the hosting to Bluehost (with their amazing WordPress hosting):
- Go to GoDaddy’s account manager – sign in with your credentials.
- Choose Manage Domains from the Manage Your Account list.
- Pick your domain name(s) you’d like to move to Bluehost by checking the boxes and clicking Set Name Servers.
- Type in the new name server info under the blue Name Servers heading on the right side of the page & click Save Changes at the bottom. If you did everything correctly, it should look like: ns1.bluehost.com; ns2.bluehost.com.
Then add the domain you bought from GoDaddy as an addon domain to your Bluehost web hosting. Simply log into Bluehost and click on Domains, and then Assign.
Other services and products I recommend for all new bloggers:
- A basic email marketing service like Aweber, &Campayn. For amazing drip sequence emails (like I’m using for this course), opt-in forms, landing pages, etc., my favorite is ConvertKit.
- Canva – perfect for creating your own graphics!
- The Hungry JPEG for hundreds of free fonts and graphics to use when creating images for your blog.
- Trello – a project management / organizational tool you can use for planning your blog posts, and well, basically your whole life!
- More resources I’ve used and recommend can be found on my RESOURCES page.
- Buffer for social media sharing.
- Pixabay for royalty free images (use with Canva)
- Shutterstock thousands of royalty free images.