Getting started online can be difficult if you do not have the relevant experience. You may feel like it is impossible to know where to begin. That is why we have put this quick beginner’s guide together for you, revealing everything you could possibly need in quick snippets.
The first thing you always need to do is build a good website.
Here are some quick does and don’ts that will help you on your path to creating a killer website…
- Do build your site on WordPress; it is the most popular content management system for a reason
- Don’t use Flash
- Do always answer the question “why?”
- Don’t add testimonials – add a widget that links in testimonials from a genuine review platform like Trustpilot
- Do optimize your website for mobile use
- Don’t try to please everyone
- Do integrate your social media platforms
- Don’t expect visitors – a solid SEO strategy is a must
- Do compress files to boost load speed
- Don’t make people think
Now you have a website, here are a few quick tips to help you get started with social media…
- Don’t be a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none. Find out where your customers are and focus on these platforms.
- Passion is a must.
- Integrate video marketing (something we will discuss in the next section).
- Show off your personality.
- Listen to your customers, rather than simply promoting.
Video marketing is also a good way to get the word out about your business. Here are some good video marketing examples to give you some inspiration:
- Testimonial video example: Artifact Uprising
- Explainer video example: PandaDoc
- Demo video example: FTP Today
- Live video example: Benefit Cosmetics
Link exchange is imperative for SEO, but there are other options to consider too. Here are some alternatives to link exchanging that you can also incorporate into your strategy…
- Social bookmarking
- Article directory submission
- Blog commenting
- Forum posting
- Link baiting
- Press releases
- Guest blogging
Don’t forget about email marketing either! Here are some of the most common email marketing mistakes you need to avoid…
- No automation
- Keeping a bad list, which will enhance your spam score and bounce rate
- Ignoring analytics
- Sending emails at the wrong time of day
- Sending emails that do not look professional
- Boring subject lines
- Setting too little time aside to write
- Going in without a plan
- Not building a database
Finally, guest posting is a good way to build your authority online. Here are some tips to help you build a successful guest posting strategy…
- Put together an editorial calendar
- Promote your post on social media
- Reply to the comments
- Choose sites with lots of comments
- Get the anchor text right
- Focus on creating unique and original content
- Make sure the topics are relevant
- Follow the guest post guidelines
So there you have it: the online starter kit guide for anyone who is looking to make a serious impression online today. We hope that this has helped you to get your foot in the water when it comes to online marketing. Good luck!