Whether you’re looking to escape the 9-to-5 grind or you just want to earn some money on the side, there are plenty of ways to turn your skills and interests into cold hard cash online. Sure, making money online sounds like a daydream.
But the truth is, even though starting a business of any kind is hard work, countless people (including myself) have already done it. Chances are, you can too!
Here are some simple ideas you can use to start a real business, without quitting your day job:
- Build a drop shipping empire — Source a pre-existing product from a supplier and have them take care of everything else, including packaging and fulfillment and checkout. No touch, no inventory, just profit in your pocket.
- Start a clothing line — If you own a Shopify store, you can set up your own clothing line using plugins like Printify, Printful, and Merchify that automatically link your store to apparel printers. Then pin your designs in Pinterest and run a targeted Facebook ad. Watch the money roll in.
- Sell your art online — Whether you’re a painter, photographer, or musician, there are plenty of ways for you to turn your latest set of masterpieces into a stable revenue stream with a beautifully designed e-commerce website.
- Become a freelance writer, designer, or developer — Put your talents to good use by helping people across the world with their projects (while making some quick money on the side, of course).
- Teach an online course — All you need to do is put together a video walkthrough explaining a subject that you’re familiar with and then host it on your own personal website!
- Flip your thrift store finds — If you love hitting up thrift stores and hunting down great deals, then opening up an online boutique to sell your secondhand treasures is a natural next step. I flip thrift store finds all the time. If you’re going with clothing – look for name brands. If you’re going with home decor, try to upcycle the product to make it unique. You can even flip books, whether you flip “as-is” or recycle the books into something new (check out Pinterest for DIY craft ideas from books). Check for seasonal items as well and sell those goods several weeks (or months for Christmas items) before the new season arrives.
- Publish your own book — It doesn’t matter if it’s a science fiction novel, a marketing guide, or a children’s picture book, there are now plenty of options for self-publishing your own work. I’ve done this and it’s easy passive income.
Read on for more information on how to start and scale these 7 online business ideas.